Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Brugge Brasserie - Cerne Pivo

Cerne Pivo

ABV: 5.0%
IBU: 5, low and smooth
SRM / Coloring: Deep red / mahogany


I'm doing some work at the local coffee shop in Broad Ripple on a dreary and rainy afternoon, when all of a sudden the temperature drops and I'm talkin it hits the floor.  I turn around to look outside the window and there is a snow storm going on outside of me, a thick wet snow coming down hard and just blanketing cars.  It's the first snow of the season, so I wrap up my booboo and go for a beer at Brugge.

I run into Ted, Brugge's owner and brewmaster, and we get to talking about what I had and he filled me in about what what Cerne Pivo actually met.  As with German beers where Bock means strong beer, Pils means light lager, and Dunkel means dark lager, the same classifications exist in other countries.  The Cerne Pivo is a Belgian style beer, which literally translates to dark beer.

This is a dark lager with a medium body, which is loaded with taste and flavor but still easy to drink and refreshing.  It has a nice hoppy touch which is very prevalent in both smell and taste, but what always impresses me about Brugge's beer is how they can somehow manage to balance their darker bitter beers on the back end.  Similarly to their Black, the Cerne Pivo has a full taste but then comes clean and a bit sweet.   This is a good enough beer to be featured year round, as it's easy drinkability and dark mixture of flavors would work in a bunch of different settings and please a wide range of beer drinkers, casual and connoisseurs.


No comments:

Post a Comment