Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Bier Brewery - PDG Pale Ale

PDG Pale Ale

ABV: 5.8%
IBU: 45.2
SRM / Coloring: 7.6 light and crisp

Just by association this beer is now top of my list.  Maybe it's because of the crisp hoppy taste, or maybe because it almost flew out of my hands as I was watching the Hoosiers nail a last second, buzzer beating three to knock off the top seeded Wildcats.  At any rate, this is a fantastic beer.

Most pale ale's people associate with your run of the mill beers, thus they often get overlooked.  So far as a brewery goes, pale ales are clean, a little bit fruity, and crisp which is great for the typical ber drinker, but going to a brewery most people want the crazy stuff.  Hell, I'm totally guilty of this fact.  I walk in to the breweries around here and want something full bodied and flavorful, and I don't really think of pale ale's in that instance.  However, when I visited Bier Brewery this past Saturday, I ran into a former coworker who spoke highly of Bier's PDG, so I decided to give it a go.  Without a doubt unlike any other pale ale I've ever tried.

The PDG Pale Ale is unique in that it almost transcends most beer categories.  It's a pale ale with the characteristic grainy and bitter flavoring, but it also has a hoppy aroma and taste like an IPA, which then comes off a little citrusy at the end like a blonde.  I knew in my head that I was drinking a pale ale, but my tongue was all like, "Whoa, pump the brakes what just happened."  Proof that complex beers aren't in the style of ber, but in the creativity of the people making them.  Well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment